The Pueblo San Cristóbal (LA 80) is noteworthy for its prolific petroglyphs and pictographs and for the Spanish convento with a stone church wall still standing 4 m high. The majority of the rock art in this area are Puebloan, but examples from earlier periods—the Archaic—are also present. The presence of the mission at this pueblo makes it an outstanding place to study the earliest European–Native American contact. In 1912 Nels C. Nelson extensively excavated the sites and identified seventeen roomblocks and estimated 1,645 rooms on the pueblo at one time. The pueblo’s residents had an active role in the Revolt of 1680. The pueblo ceased to be occupied after the revolt.
Photography for the Office of Archaeological Studies and Friends of Archaeology.
Information cited from galisteo.nmarchaeology.org
New Mexico Office of Archaeological Studies